Sunday, August 7, 2011

My accidental iPad discovery

This isn't music related, but it is technology related.

For a brief period of time, I've been fortunate enough to have TWO iPads. I know not everyone has this luxury. It has worked really well this summer since my twins have each had their own iPad to use and we have not had issues about sharing them (except when they have to share with Mommy!). Unfortunately I have to give the borrowed iPad back in about two weeks. I dread that day.

I had an iTunes card I wanted to apply to my account, so I went into settings to try to do that. I never did figure out how to do it through the iPad (maybe it's not possible?), but I did make a different discovery in the process. I went to Settings and then Store and found this screen:


This screen is either new with the newest iOS update or I've simply ignored it because I didn't have multiple iPads. I sure wish I'd discovered this at the beginning of the summer. If you move the switches to yes, any downloads you make to one device will automatically be made on to the other device(s). I don't use the iPad for music or books, so I just moved the app switch to yes. Then I downloaded Elmo Loves ABC's to one of the iPads (it's huge and took forever) and, lo and behold, it was on the other iPad when I checked later.

Why is this useful, you may ask? Well, if you are like me, you don't sync to your computer all that often. This saves me from having to hook both devices to my computer and syncing. You know, when one kid has an app, the other wants it too and I frequently end up going to the app store on both ipads to download the same app. If you are lucky enough to have multiple iPads in your classroom (that are connected to the same account) and you don't have one of those fancy carts that sync them all at the same time, this may be of use to you. If not, you may have a little more unnecessary information floating around your brain. Oh, well...

No comments:

Post a Comment